12.03.2007

Bouncing Around the Northeast Part III - New York City

The last leg of my trip was spent in New York. On my first day back in New York City, I took F-train back to Brooklyn, like I had done so many times in years past, and visited my old neighborhood of Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens. I lived in this neighborhood for close to seven years; which is perhaps longer than I have lived anywhere. Undoubtedly, it has changed some over the past year and a half...but it will always have a very special place in my heart.

In December, in preparation for the winter holidays and Christmas, New York City comes even more animated and alive with color. The streets are packed with people. Department store windows offer elaborate theatrical festive displays to entice even more shoppers. Bare trees are suddenly brightly lit and multicolored. Huge candy-canes hang off high rise buildings. And different sizes of Santa Claus', wreaths and ornaments are just around every corner. Even the most serious and stern adult becomes giddy with childlike anticipation.


This year for the first time, I also witnessed the lighting of the giant Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center. (This apparently is a tradition that started in the early 1930's, when Rockefeller Center was under construction). Luckily for me, I was able to do so from the festivities and warmth of the 24th floor of a building in the Center - high above the crowds and away from the cold. This year, the 84 foot Norwegian spruce is lit with energy-efficient lights. In January, at the end of the holidays when the tree is taken down, the wood from the Norwegian spruce will be used by Habitat for Humanity to build homes.

(The picture with the 'blue' ice-skating rink is with the tree unlit. The picture with the 'red' skating rink was taken just as the tree was lit on November 28th, 8:50PM).

No comments:

Post a Comment